Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pork Chops with Apple Gravy




This is a family favorite, even though the sound of it is off-putting to younger children. Every time I make this I have to remind my children, "Yes, it really does have apples and onions together in the gravy, and yes it is delicious and you loved it last time we had it."

This is a very frugal recipe if you can get your pork chops for $1.39 per pound, as we often can here. Right now I have a bulk 4-H piggy in my freezer so we are eating pork like kings. I adapted this from a recipe found on the 30 Day Gourmet website, but I modified it to not have to brown the pork chops and to be cooked in the oven. You can cook this in the crockpot too.

Pork Chops with Apple Gravy---8 servings

8 pork chops (about 3 pounds)........$5.17
1 large onion, chopped.........................0.20
5 tart cooking apples, sliced thin........0.79
(you can peel them if you want but I never do)
2 T beef broth granules........................0.25
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups water
1/4 cup flour...........................................0.10

Layer onions and apples over pork chops in baking pan with lid.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper
Dissolve beef broth in water and pour over pork chops.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees until tender, 1-2 hours.
Remove pork chops and whisk in flour, cooking until thickened. I use brown rice flour and a little bit of milk.

Serve with mashed potatoes and veggies.
4 lb potatoes............................$3
Veggies.....................................$1

Total for eight servings, ABOUT $10.51. I always see if I can meet or beat the $5 limit for four people. I buy organic potatoes and apples from Azure Standard, so non-organic on sale would easily get this under the $5 limit from $5 Dinners. This also provides us with a small amount of left overs for lunches the next day (or in my family's case, breakfast, as they always try to beat each other out to eat the leftover potatoes and gravy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment