Friday, February 13, 2009

Frugal Friday


My Frugal Friday tip is not to get overdrawn in your checking account. This is probably a no-brainer for most of you, but it continually trips up my husband and me. We have never been good about communicating about money, so to try to prevent more overdrafts, we have separated our money into two accounts. He controls one and I control the other. I was frustrated at him earlier this week because he overdrew his account. He wrote some checks without making sure there was enough money to cover them. How could be be so stupid? I'll tell you how, because I just did it today! A debit card charge for some contact lenses I bought a MONTH ago from lens.com, which I assumed came through the day I bought them but never actually checked to make sure, didn't come through till today and it overdrew my account. Fortunately I also got paid so I was only overdrawn for a few minutes and didn't get charged, but it could have been a lot worse. My husband and I will be having a heart to heart very soon. His overdraft cost us $60 that could have gone towards more debt. My overdraft could have been just as expensive. It is akin to taking $120 and flushing it down the toilet. Live and Learn.

For more Frugal Friday tips, visit Biblical Womanhood

2 comments:

  1. My bank has 'internet banking' and I can watch it like a hawk if I like to see what's there and what's pending.....etc.

    It's saved us a bunch of times!
    BUT- we always use a card...not checks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband doesn't trust bank cards. He writes checks only. I think I will try to convince him yet again!

    ReplyDelete