Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Frugal Happenings Around Here

Yesterday and today were busy and productive. I am in the part of the month when I usually don't get migraines, yeya, and I have been getting enough sleep and still getting up early so I feel rested and energetic most of the day. As a fibromyalgia sufferer, I know to take these days as the blessings they are!

I spent some time yesterday making home-made laundry soap, dishwasher soap, deodorant, and shampoo. A food processor makes this job so easy! I got my recipes from the Passionate Homemaker (scroll to the bottom of the page for cleaning and personal care recipes). I labeled my containers with my nifty new label maker that I bought a year ago but had never used before. My goodness I LOVE this little thing! (See here.)
I have images of Martha Stewart Style perfectly organized closets and cupboards, everything with neat little labels. I may even label my children, so I won't be constantly calling them by the wrong name. They'd like that.

I did spend a panicked few hours yesterday and today looking for a bunch of jars of essential oils. I found them Friday as I was unpacking boxes to restock my kitchen cupboards and was so excited because now I actually know what to do with them (see above). So yesterday I wanted to make deodorant and put a few drops of tea tree oil in it. The oils were nowhere to be found. I looked high, I looked low, I looked every logical place. Today I even looked through about 10 bags of garbage in the dumpster. Not fun. I was so upset with myself because I had at least $100 worth of oils in those bottles. And it makes me so mad how the chaos in my home lately costs me money.

Well, today I was continuing to stock cupboards and lo and behold, there were the oils in a little cardboard box. Of course, as soon as I found them, I remembered perfectly putting them there. Arg, and thank you Lord.

Today I emptied out a very inefficient pantry closet and organized everything in my new kitchen cupboards. I have more than triple the cupboard space I had before and it is so wonderful. I have organized everything for easy and efficient access. My label maker and charts on the inside of the cupboards and drawers will mean my children will know just where to put things. A girl can dream anyway.

So now I know what is in my cupboards. We don't need to buy peanut butter for many months and no jelly for a year. Beloved has enough salsa to last a long time. it is great to feel in control. That freezer is next.

4 comments:

  1. HI,

    Enjoy your blog so far. Love the cheap grocery suggestions! Hubby and I have about the same amount of debt to pay off and unfortunately I'm unemployed altogether right now. You have given us inspiration though and we're going to have a serious heart to heart about unnecessary items this weekend. I suspect DishTV will be the first to go!

    FYI, my internist is part of a research study at the local med school involving fibromyalgia. Vitamin D3, otc, seems to help the pain for some people.

    Blessings,

    --Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Beth, I have never heard of D3 specifically. Is that found in dairy? We do eat a lot of cheese and yogurt. Good luck with giving up the Dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have new pics of your kitchen? Is it finished yet? I thought since you were putting things away in your new space we could see?
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kitchen is nearly done! The countertops are done and I plan to do a tutorial on frugal kitchen countertops. Just have to get a couple of doors done and hung so the pix will look a little nicer. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete